Department Description: ID Plymouth Specialty specializes Neurology. This practice is affiliated with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center East Campus and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Plymouth.
Job Location: Plymouth, MA
Req ID: 41989BR
EMG Tech part time 20 to 25 hours per week
Job Summary: Works under the supervision of the Medical Doctor provides assistance to patients in the EMG Lab and performs brief neuromuscular examinations as requested by physicians.
- Performs nerve conduction studies on patients referred for EMG study. Records pertinent history of the patient's primary symptoms. Outlines the nature of the procedures and tests with the patient. Answers questions patients may have as to hazards or discomforts presented by the test or procedures.
- Consults with the Medical Director about the appropriateness of the diagnostic study, interpretation of the studies, or technical problems. Ensures that inpatients are ready to be escorted to the reception area promptly and safely when tests are completed.
- Prepares a summary report of the electrophysiological data and compiles representative original recordings. Uploads EMG/nerve conduction data and reports into the medical record system.
- Maintains a high standard of cleanliness in the EMG room and completes the proper care and sterilization of reusable electrodes. Ensures electrodes and other EMG supplies are adequately stocked. Ensures the proper maintenance and function of the equipment used in the EMG room. Conducts quality control testing of equipment as necessary.
- Participates in continuing education programs and workshops; reviews and keeps abreast of anatomical, clinical, or electrophysiological publications.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Electromyography Technician Training Program preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- 1+ years experience in patient care services
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Training in patient care skills such as medical assisting.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement