Registered Nurse or LPN / Team Nurse, per diem
Department: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Newburyport-Werner
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center our nurses make a difference each and every day. Here you will work in a collaborative environment where our patients come first. You are a patient advocate delivering compassionate care while ensuring safe nursing practices. We are Harvard with a heart and strive to build on our legacy of nursing excellence.
- Per Diem
- Level: 1 + Years
- RN License
nurses at BIDMC, ensuring
every patient receives
of our nurses have a
or doctorate degree
dollars in scholarships awarded annually for
Health and Wellness Programs
$5 Red Sox Tickets
Department Description: BIDHC-Newburyport-Werner
Job Location: Newburyport, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46964BR
Job Summary: Reporting directly to the Practice Manager and Senior Director of Nursing, the Team Nurse position is responsible for performing the duties of a RN/LPN in an outpatient primary care or family medicine practice and serves as a clinical resource for the medical practice. The Team Nurse provides high quality, direct patient care in a team based model to our Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare ( BIDHC) patients. The Team Nurse is responsible for enhancing the safety, effectiveness and efficiency of patient care through the support and delegation of clinical and administrative functions as appropriate to the Medical Assistant (MA) staff. Responsible for educating and training our MA team and patients with both general and focused health education for preventive, chronic and episodic health care issues. Assumes responsibility, in collaboration with primary care providers to coordinate patient-centered care, support transitions between levels of care and counsels, educates and supports patients in improving health status.
- Coordinate and facilitate quality clinical management of a broad based outpatient population across the continuum of care. Collaborates with providers to identify needs for preventive care, evidence-based chronic disease management and care coordination. Provides general and specific healthcare education. Works directly with patients to identify and monitor self-management goals.
- Collaborates care with community based providers. Follows up on ED visits and inpatient discharges. Assists providers with exams, treatments and procedures as needed.
- Provides skilled telephonic triage and assessment, education, collaboration and coordination of healthcare and community resources. Performs a direct patient care role. Nursing visits include : Annual Wellness Visits (AWVs) and Chronic Care Management (CCM) of our BIDHC patients.
- Responsible for INR management and teaching for those patients on Coumadin using a standardized protocol.
- Administers vaccines and medications by parenteral, oral, rectal or nasal route by orders of the prescribing provider and by the Medication Administration policy guidelines established by BIDHC . Provides patient education as appropriate for the administered medication.
- Performs a wide range of nursing activities as needed under the direction of the provider such as wound care, point of care testing etc. Accurately documents all aspects of patient care in the Electronic Health Record in a timely basis. Schedules tests and referrals for specialty care on order of provider.
- Monitors and ensures follow up of all abnormal test and imaging results under the direction of the provider.
- Oversees the inventory and ordering management of clinical supplies and equipment as necessary. Ensures safe, accurate and clinically appropriate collection, storage and processing of all biologic specimens.
- Provides oversight, delegation and acts as a resource to unlicensed staff including MAs, Certified Nursing Assistants and Nursing Students. Provides on-going education and training to practice staff. Updates clinical knowledge and skills though consultation, review of literature and formal and informal education including CEUs. Maintains compliance with organizational mandatory annual training.
- The Team Nurse will ensure that PHI (Patient Health Information) will only be used for the purposes of patient TPO (treatment, payment and operations). The Team Nurse will ensure patient safety practices to prevent/eliminate risk of patient harm. Adverse patient events and near misses will be promptly reported to the BIDHC Risk Management Dept.
- Graduate from an accredited Nursing Program required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- License Registered Nurse required., or Registration Licensed Practical Nurse required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- CPR Certification
- ¿ Understanding of the philosophy of harm reduction Strong interpersonal skills.
¿ Strong patient communication and patient education skills.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Preferred experience in Addiction medicine
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Let me just give you a quick overview of why it's different here. You'll be heard, respected, valued. Your ideas will be sought, your input welcomed. There's a real commitment to keeping it collegial and collaborative.-Marsha M., RN, MS, Senior Vice President, Patient Care Services CNO