Department Description: Hours = Monday-Friday (Day Shift)
Busy 2 floor Cancer Center and Specialties clinic attached to Needham Hospital. Clinics include and not limited to, Hematology/Oncology and Radiation Oncology, Surgical Specialties, GI, GU, Non-Chemo and Chemo infusions suites.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 30486BR
Job Summary: Coordinates the scheduling for all patient procedures and services.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Schedule patients for Lank Cancer Center departments including Medical Oncology and chemo and non-chemo infusion treatments. Communicates in a clear and timely manner with all Cancer Center staff in Needham and in Boston in regards to patient appointment, times, and location.
- Collaborates with all internal and external partners to obtain most timely and convenient appointment for the patient according to infusion specifications. Schedules additional services or provider appointments based on treatment plan.
- Make adjustments to infusion bay templates to ensure schedules are adjusted according to RN staffing changes and coverage needs.
- Schedules related radiology and lab exams making every reasonable effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Enters patient insurance, prior authorizations and referrals as needed.
- Performs check in/out, co-pay collection, and reviews patient demographic and insurance data for accuracy. Monitors patients and visitors entering, waiting, and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and informs patients of delays.
- Schedules patients for procedures; post-operative appointments, pre-admission testing, testing, surgery, follow up and wait list process. Notify patients in-person and via mail of scheduled procedures. Ensures all communications are timely and provide complete details of procedure, location, and time and required. Provides patients with information pertaining to testing and surgery.
- Maintains multiple applications for scheduling of procedures & collection of patient data. Schedules location of procedure, medical staff & clinical resources. Completes accurate & timely journal entries. Collaborates with both internal & external partners to obtain resources. Maintains physician &/or surgeon's schedule. Registers patient & ensures demographic data is entered accurat
- Communicates schedules on a daily basis. Reviews with advisor. Updates staff with revisions. Posts schedules.
- Acts as liaison to with internal departments and external resources and agencies.
- Coordinates to ensure all paperwork is complete and preauthorization has been obtained. Obtains and processes referrals for procedures.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Scheduling experience in a busy medical setting.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally