Nursing Technician (32hrs, Day)
Department Description: The Derenzo Patient Care Unit is a general medical/surgical/telemetry unit. Patients are admitted to the Derenzo Patient Care Unit from the ED, PACU, physicians’ offices, and infrequently directly from their residence. The patient population on the Derenzo Patient Care Unit is diverse and consists of patients who have medical diagnoses or have undergone abdominal, orthopedic, plastic, and urological surgeries, to name a few.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 40338BR
Job Summary: The nursing technician assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care to non-acutely ill patients and assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean environment. The nursing technician functions under the direction and supervision of the RN. Under the supervision of the Clinical Director/Nurse Manager or delegate, the nursing technician assists in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating the activities occurring in the nursing station by performing clerical and receptionist duties and maintaining the physical environment of the area. This position deals with a patient population ranging in age from adolescence to geriatrics with surgical/medical clinical focus.
- Consistently demonstrates a familiarity with the duties required of a nursing technician and performs all duties accurately in accordance with departmental policies and procedures; readily observes or assists others to obtain further knowledge
- Consistently demonstrates competence in performing care, treatment and procedures as outlined in the Nursing technicians Clinical Skills List.
- Always follows the Nursing Care Plan; observes established policies and procedures for proper patient treatment and care
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control and isolation procedures; strictly adheres to policies and procedures as outlined in the departmental manuals; washes hands before and after each patient contact.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training preferred.
- Requirement for High School Diploma or GED may be substituted when applicant has equivalent related work experience.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Nursing Assistant Certification, prior LTAC or med/surg experience, or completion of nursing clinical rotation.
- CPR certification and first aid training, or must complete within 30 days of hire.
- MOAB training.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement