Retail Pharmacy Technician
Department Description: We are opening a brand new retail pharmacy in our Bowdoin Street Health Center in Dorchester and looking for technicians to staff our local community pharmacy.
Founded in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood in 1972 by community residents, Bowdoin Street Health Center remains focused on providing outstanding medical care while maintaining a tradition of working with residents to identify and meet their unique health needs. The mission of the health center is to provide excellent, compassionate care to our patients and support the health of the entire community.
Job Location: Dorchester, MA
Req ID: 40079BR
Job Summary: The Retail Pharmacy Technician is responsible for providing technical support under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist in the outpatient/retail pharmacy. Technician's duties include preparing take home medications, compounding, inventory management, utilizing various equipment and technology available in the pharmacy, performing drop-off and pick-up window duties, and performing various quality control tasks as assigned. In addition, the retail technician will participate in training and orientation of new technicians and pharmacy students and bedside delivery to patients.
- Renews routine/maintenance medication requests (telephonic, fax, Patient site, E- prescription queue) for patients. Manages the administrative responsibilities for faxing, filing, mailing, and documenting status in medical record of non-electronically routable prescriptions.
- Responds efficiently to formulary and medication assistance program inquiries and prioritizes efforts to address needs effectively and safely.
- Assists with medication reconciliations.
- Investigates and resolves prescription issues and communicates directly with patients providing clarification on directions for prescriptions.
- Understands product and payer reimbursement landscape and prior authorization guidelines and processes. Collects and reviews all data needed to facilitate prior authorization approvals. Communicates status updates as appropriate including information with appeals.
- Coordinates with provider, patient, or insurance company to resolve insurance related issues, including prior authorizations (PAs) efficiently.
- Provides exceptional customer service to internal and external customers. Resolves any customer requests in a timely and accurate manner. Escalates complaints accordingly; maintains frequent phone contact with patient, provider and pharmacy staff. Clarifies prescription orders with pharmacist and/or clinician as appropriate.
- Participates in quality initiatives and process improvement efforts for prescription requests, prior authorizations, education for providers and staff and pharmacy updates.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- License Mass Registered Pharmacy Tech required., or Registration Pharmacy Technician Trainee required., or Certificate 1 Certfied Pharmacy Technician preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in Healthcare or Retail Pharmacy.
- Knowledge of prior-authorization workflows, payer relations, prescription claims adjudication, and general reimbursement procedures.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with diverse groups of professionals (physicians, nurses, administration, etc.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience with prior authorizations.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.