Department: Bowdoin Street Health Center
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center our nurses make a difference each and every day. Here you will work in a collaborative environment where our patients come first. You are a patient advocate delivering compassionate care while ensuring safe nursing practices. We are Harvard with a heart and strive to build on our legacy of nursing excellence.
- Full Time
- Level: 1 + Years
- RN License
nurses at BIDMC, ensuring
every patient receives
of our nurses have a
or doctorate degree
dollars in scholarships awarded annually for
Health and Wellness Programs
$5 Red Sox Tickets
Department Description: Seeking Full-Time Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) for 32-hour per week (with Benefits). 8-hour shifts, days and evening coverage (1 evening per week). Rotating Saturdays from 9am - 1pm and some holidays required.
Bowdoin Street Health Center located in Dorchester, MA provides primary specialty services to a culturally and linguistically diverse population. Bowdoin Street is a NCQA recognized patient centered medical home and provides team based care which includes nursing care management for our highest risk patients. Populations include those with chronic, unstable disease conditions.
**Geriatric/Elder Care Experience Preferred **
*Bilingual in Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Haitian Creole or Spanish is highly desirable*
*This position includes grant funding.*
Job Location: Dorchester, MA
Req ID: 38181BR
Job Summary: The BIDMC Nursing Mission is to build on a legacy of nursing excellence by caring with compassion, advancing the art & science of nursing, and advocating for the health of patients, families, and communities. The LPN works in collaboration within the healthcare team. The LPN contributes to and implements the plan of care as defined by the patient's care team within an ambulatory setting. Works with nursing and practice/medical assistant staff to ensure efficient and effective patient care. Functions in accordance with philosophy, standards, and policies established by the hospital and nursing department. Training, evaluation and competencies for this role are overseen by a Nurse Leader to the department.
- Implements plan of care. Administers various types of medications to patients as directed by clinical staff. Evaluates and documents response appropriately. Immediately reports adverse effects to clinical staff. Assists in procedures or treatments as appropriate
- Participates in administrative patient care functions including follow-up phone calls and scheduling of appointments. Assists in scheduling patients for routine and/or urgent appointments. Assists in the completion of preauthorization forms, prescription renewals or other forms requested by clinicians. Faxes information to appropriated sources.
- Participates in health teaching required by patients and families as determined by assessment and requested by clinicians. Maintains patient education materials in clinical area. Assists in patient teaching that is culturally, linguistically and educationally appropriate for the patient population.
- Assists in maintaining patient flow in clinic setting. Provides assistance to practice/medical assistant staff to ensure timely and efficient flow. Evaluates and prioritizes care according to patient needs. Alerts clinician to patients requiring immediate care. Works with registration staff in the management of walk-ins or rebooking of cancellations.
- Functions as part of health care team. Works cooperatively with registered nurses and practice/medical assistant staff to ensure that all patient care needs are met. Attends and participates in staff meetings and contributes to problem identification and resolution.
- Vocational or Technical training in Nursing from a professional accredited Practical Nursing Program required.
- License Licensed Practical Nurse required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must have interpersonal skill to interact with patients and families in a multi-cultural setting.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience within a clinical setting
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Let me just give you a quick overview of why it's different here. You'll be heard, respected, valued. Your ideas will be sought, your input welcomed. There's a real commitment to keeping it collegial and collaborative.-Marsha M., RN, MS, Senior Vice President, Patient Care Services CNO