Ophthalmic Assistant I
Department Description: Full-Time, with Benefits based on 40-hours per week.
Busy Medical Specialties practice in Chestnut Hill offering Optometry services to patients. We are seeking a dynamic individual to join the team.
Free parking on site for employees located at 200 Boylston Street - Chestnut Hill The Square.
Job Location: Chestnut Hill, MA
Req ID: 38992BR
Job Summary: The Ophthalmic Assistant I fulfills numerous functions to prepare patients for evaluation by an Ophthalmologist and/or Optometrist. Primary responsibilities include acquiring health histories from patients, performing preliminary eye function testing, managing patient flow, and maintaining equipment. Participates in employer sponsored training and continuing education with the goal of becoming certified by JCAHPO as a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) within 18 months from date of hire.
- Performs visual fields, A/B ultrasonic scans, autorefraction, OCT, fundus photography, lensometry and topography.
- Escorts patients to and from exam rooms. Takes a complete history focusing on the patient's eye symptoms. Reviews allergies and medications. Performs visual acuity tests and uses tonopens and applanation to measure intraocular pressure.
- Trains on the job for new tasks and ancillary skills as needed. Participates in employer sponsored training and continuing education with the goal of becoming a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) within 18 months from date of hire.
- Monitors supply rooms and keeps exam rooms stocked and supplied. Cleans and maintains equipment and coordinates repairs as needed.
- Monitors provider schedules and patient flow. Gathers and coordinates information necessary for patient records.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Medical Assistant or other healthcare training preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must have a minimum of one year experience in an ophthalmology practice or be a graduate of an accredited Ophthalmic Assistant program with one year of related work experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus