Compliance & Privacy Specialist
Department Description: This role is providing support on the Beth Israel Lahey Health Compliance team.
Job Location: Burlington, MA
Req ID: 41496BR
Job Summary: The Compliance and Privacy Specialist will, with direction from system leadership, work with the BILH community to facilitate compliance with the Code of Conduct, policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to information privacy and security and general compliance matters. Responsible for supporting the business objectives of the BILH Compliance and Privacy Programs. Responsibilities include: conducting and coordinating investigations; handling and/or triaging incoming inquiries, concerns, and other matters; draft, implement, and revise/maintain policies/procedures/guidance in a clear, concise manner that reflects current requirements; develop and implement outreach, training and communication programs and serve as an expert resource for information privacy and security compliance, and general compliance inquiries/issues/projects.
- Use expert knowledge of federal, state, local, regulations and guidance, Code of Conduct, investigatory best practices, confidentiality, and policies and procedures to effectively work with organizational partners throughout the investigatory process, leading investigations as applicable.
- Training, communication, and advisory services: Work with BILH leadership to identify, develop, and implement continuous training and communication to the BILH community, enhancing workforce awareness.
- Serves as a subject matter expert/consultant on information privacy and security issues to all areas and all levels of the BILH community. Serve on organizational committees related to information privacy and security and general compliance matters.
- Anticipate reporting requirements and participate in the development of materials and updates for OCBC and BID leadership. Perform data analysis. Identify trends. Prepare visual graphics and written materials to support findings. Develop reports and dashboards.
- Performs or assists with auditing and monitoring various activities pertaining to privacy, security, and compliance. Ensure routine monitoring requirements, such as exclusion checks and related activities are performed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in the development of information privacy and security monitoring activities, collaborating with stakeholders as necessary to ensure coordinated and effective reviews. Assists PwC in the performance of internal audits, as needed.
- Assist with the risk assessment and management process: Conduct and participate in risk assessment planning and implementation. Analyze issues using standardized risk methodology. Identify and communicate high 'risk areas and issues as appropriate.
- Participate in the continuous quality improvement of BILH operations in partnership with leadership, including monitoring and improving Compliance customer service, compliance with regulations, and related electronic systems. Identify weaknesses and deficiencies, and provide input to BILH leadership on how to enhance the quality and efficiency of the work performed.
- Identify deficiencies and advise on how to achieve compliance with regulatory requirements in an efficient manner. Conduct ongoing review of policies and procedures, working with leadership to ensure correction and education as necessary.
- Ensure that local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines are correctly applied and appropriately described in policies, procedures, and guidance. Draft, update, and maintain policies and procedures in partnership with BILH leadership and organizational partners as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- Experience in information privacy or security, and healthcare compliance.
- Must have specific HIPAA and HITECH knowledge and experience. Fluency in federal and state laws, regulations, and guidance related to information privacy and security.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Professional certification is preferred, e.g. Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC), Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP).
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.