Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Washington Square Group provides personalized, comprehensive care for patients aged 18 and older.
Job Location: Brookline, Massachusetts
Req ID: 47678BR
Job Summary: Reports to: Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician(s), nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Answers and processes telephone calls in a polite and courteous manner. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Process and prepare prior authorizations, including prescriptions, imaging and procedures.
- Process and prepare prescription refills (requests via fax, patients portal, escribe).
- Review, respond to and appropriately message and follow up on patient portal messages.
- Perform Practice Assistant duties: Greet patients, perform check in, registration, scheduling, verification of demographic information and fiscal data. Collects co-payments, schedules, reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters referrals. Prepare and maintain medical records.
- Support practice in an administrative clinical capacity by working with Nurse and Medical Assistant team to streamline workflows.
- Serves as a communication resource. Asks appropriate questions and solves problems. Takes complete and accurate information from patients in person and by phone, prioritizing and communicating the information to providers appropriately. Responds quickly and courteously to phone calls and requests. Seeks assistance from supervisor and others appropriately.
- Greets patients and escorts to exam rooms. Ensures availability of x-rays, lab slips, medical records and other pertinent info. Obtains vitals, weight, blood pressure, pulse and temperature, performs EKGs, injections and/or phlebotomy, and assists providers. Performs departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards.
- Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures. Performs or assists with routine procedures under proper supervision as directed by physician, Nurse Practitioner. Schedules follow-up tests and appointments. Arranges patient transport as needed. Sorts/distributes lab results daily to appropriate physician or nurse practitioner. Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Assists with procuring medical records. Ensures patient records and relevant documents filed in the record have appropriate patient identification. Adds new medications to patient record in EMR system. Assemble records according to BIDHC/APG policy and as standards are defined by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO).
- Ensures that equipment and supplies necessary to carry out patient care activities are available and usable and the environment is clean and organized. Maintains an unobstructed area for patient access. Cleans rooms after patient usage and ensures appropriate disposal of contaminated materials. Tracks, orders and maintains supplies and equipment, restocks supplies.
- Participates in practice improvement initiatives.
- Attend and successfully complete annual APG Medical Assistant Competency Training.
- Medical Assistants will ensure that PHI (Patient Health Information) will only be used for the purposes of patient TPO (treatment, payment and operations). APG patient personal health information is only shared with individuals who are actively managing the patient's care. NO other parties are entitled to receive, discuss a patient's personal health information without the patient's permission.
- The Medical Assistant will ensure patient safety practices to prevent/eliminate risk of patient harm. Adverse patient events and near misses will be promptly reported to the APG Risk Management Dept.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Certified Medical Asst.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.