Technical Support Analyst
Department Description: The Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine provides leading-edge anesthesia services in operating rooms, intensive care units, labor and delivery, and non-operating room procedural areas (including gastrointestinal endoscopy, and electrophysiology). Our Physicians and CRNAs work in academic and community Hospitals and other specialized locations.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 36843BR
Job Summary: Assists with technical evaluation, administration, and appropriate technical support of vendor applications to provide a secure and responsive information environment that ensures the availability of clinical and business information for the medical center.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Serves as a primary line of support for any Anesthesia Information Management System (AIMS) related issues. Accessible via pager during specified on-call hours. Coverage areas include Operating Rooms, remote procedure locations, OB, GI, ECT, PACUs, ICUs, Pre-Admission Testing Area, Holding Areas and administrative locations related to the Department of Anesthesia.
- Troubleshoots and responds to both hardware and software issues related to AIMS. Some issues may include replacing computer workstations, configuring new systems, interfaces, and databases. Guides users to determine the best way to proceed when these types of challenges arise.
- Assists in tasks related to preventative maintenance of AIMS system hardware. Participates in various projects related to ensuring all hardware is up to date and fully functioning in clinical areas on a routine basis.
- Works closely with Anesthesia IT as well as Hospital IS, particularly the Desktop Support and Inventory Control groups. Ensures AIMS troubleshooting and workstation replacement processes are carried out efficiently and seamlessly with little impact on the end-user community.
- Provides application/technology solution support during routine business hours (Monday through Friday) and maintains on-call availability during off hours; works collaboratively with other IS resources to periodically review, maintain and validate technical support requirements, data storage requirements and downtime procedures.
- Assists with application or technology deployments and in performing product/version upgrades, applying fixes/patches, or making vendor-recommended changes or modifications to the application. May act as primary contact to vendor technical staff and assist vendor personnel where needed.
- In conjunction with technical lead ensures reasonable and appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards are in place to protect and maintain the confidentiality and integrity of the data and to meet HIPAA ePHI requirements.
- Plans and oversees technical aspects of application support in collaboration with project or technical lead. Provides technical assistance to colleagues. Demonstrates good judgment in escalation of issues to departmental management.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must be able to perform duties in an active medical operating room environment.
- Must have working knowledge of technologies including Microsoft Windows 7 and TCP/IP networks.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience with an EMR system, its implementation and maintenance.
- 2+ years of technical experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.