Senior Data Analyst
Department Description: The Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine provides leading-edge anesthesia services in operating rooms, intensive care units, labor and delivery, and non-operating room procedural areas (including gastrointestinal endoscopy, and electrophysiology). Our Physicians and CRNAs work in academic and community Hospitals and other specialized locations.
This position will be based in Boston, MA.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30903BR
Job Summary: Manages multiple complex data projects simultaneously. Serves as primary point of contact for report requests for business unit. Leverages software applications to design solutions, performs detailed data mapping and analysis and reviews all data for accuracy and reasonableness prior to distribution. Produces business, research or clinical intelligence for key stakeholders.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Design, automate, and maintain the extraction and processing of data for quality & safety, operations, and research initiatives. Perform routine and ad hoc reporting using Power BI, SQL, and Access.
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary teams to develop standards and tools to effectively manage data use and availability.
- Provide data support for aggregation of clinical data into information for quality outcomes and process assessment to support departmental reporting needs.
- Combine multiple data sources across the organization into useful datasets and dashboards for the purpose of monitoring program goals and quality improvement initiatives.
- Manages one or more complex data projects. Utilizes hospital systems and database applications to update and analyze data. Prepares and distributes various reports to key stakeholders. Meets with departmental leadership to review reports or requests for data.
- Maintains integrity and quality of data and assures data conformity meets operational requirements and goals. Acts as a central resource and integral member of data collection team. Assists in planning, establishing and monitoring criteria for data collection. Trains department staff on data acquisition methods. Extracts data from multiple sources. Audits and resolves all issues.
- Designs and develops reporting and analysis tools. Interprets data and refines analysis. Prepares and presents
comprehensive reports. Develops forms, tables and other data tools in the applications that capture, report and
consolidate data. Provides application data collection, analytics and reporting expertise. Completes analytics in a
timely and efficient manner.
- Collaborates with IS to obtain and maintain applications used for data collection and reporting. Recommends tools,
upgrades and alternatives. Assists in the development of application security and back-up plans. Coordinates
interface solution with multiple applications.
- Ensures application access is in compliance with all regulatory and medical center practices. Acts as gatekeeper for
application. Sets and defines user access and determines level of access. Reports all security risks to the
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Allied Health, or other related. required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- 3-5 years of multiple application maintenance with relational databases.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Proven working experience as a data analyst in a healthcare environment.
- Experience with data modeling, reporting and data mining; Experience with SQL Server, Power BI and R a plus.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy; Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally