RTh II - Perm Nights
Department Description: The Respiratory Care Department at BIDMC has approximately 60 Registered Respiratory Therapists on our staff. Our therapists are assigned to one of 9 adult ICUs and are primarily focused on management of mechanical ventilation of the critically ill. They also provide coverage to an active Emergency Department, Cath Lab and acute care floors. We have several therapists trained as ECMO Specialist and will be training more in the near future. This is a new program at BIDMC and we are very excited about the opportunity for our members to be part of the team. BIDMCs affiliation with the Harvard School of Medicine requires our Respiratory Therapist be intimately involved in the mentorship of physicians in training and the delivery of state of the art Respiratory Care. Our therapists play an integral role in several studies that are currently underway in our intensive care units.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30366BR
Job Summary: Assumes primary responsibility for patient care including: examination, evaluation, treatment planning, and administration of Respiratory Care procedures in response to a physician's order.
- Assesses patient condition based on medical history, observation, examination, physician's diagnosis, laboratory findings and the results of specific tests or respiratory function and other appropriate diagnostic procedures. Develops or modifies the respiratory care plan and makes specific recommendations to physicians regarding indicated therapy.
- Serves as a role model for respiratory care students and other members of the health care team who provide clinical procedures related to respiratory care. Functions as the Team Leader during shifts when no member of the management team is physically present on site.
- Attends and participates in internal and external educational meetings (departmental in-services, staff meetings, and educational conferences) to maintain and enhance clinical competence and to meet state license requirements.
- Participates in the department's performance improvement activities. Applies findings of clinical research and performance assessment findings to improve the quality of care provided to the patients at BIDMC.
- Develops and implements patient/family education plans to meet the needs of the patient at the time of clinical assessment. Facilitates patient and family education by assessing the learning needs.
- Associate's degree required in Respiratory Care/Cardiopulmonary Science.
- License required: Respiratory Therapist License, and Registration required: Reg Respiratory Therapist, and Certificate 1 required: Basic Life Support
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Work requires rotation to off-shifts and weekend hours; must be available to work on-call as necessary.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.