Research Lab Manager
Department Description: The BIDMC Mass Spectrometry Core has an immediate opening for Sr. Research Associate/Research Associate/Lab Manager. The position requires knowledge of mass spectrometry and HPLC instrumentation. The candidate will be exptected to prepare samples for analysis for proteomics/metabolomics/lipidomics, maintain laboratory equipment, coordinate sample submissions with customers and collaborators as well as ordering and sample logging. The candidate will also help with research projects as time permits. The atmosphere is a busy core lab that is protocol-driven and attention to detail is essential. If you have at least a bachelor's degree or higher and have relevant experience, please message me with your resume or CV and why you would be a good fit. www.bidmcmassspec.org. Compensation is competitive in the academic environment dependent upon experience and education. #massspectrometry
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42481BR
Job Summary: Responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including both administrative duties and direct involvement in the research endeavors of the lab.
- Independently responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including both administrative duties and direct involvement in the research endeavors of the lab.
- Coordinates and oversees the work of research personnel; implements research schedules and ensures the quality of lab procedures.
- Remains current in the technologies used in the lab and participates in improving operations of the lab, both administratively and scientifically. Recommends and implements changes.
- Supervises, orients and trains staff; ensures compliance to lab safety guidelines and accurate record keeping. May oversee lab equipment needs, inventory and the ordering of common lab supplies.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or Related Field required. Master's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- BA/BS and 5-7 years' progressively more resonsible experience OR MA/MS and 5+ years experience
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.