Patient Service Rep I
Department Description: The department of obstetrics and gynecology provides complete obstetric and gynecology services.
As the official hospital of the Boston Red Sox, we are welcoming the tiniest members of Red Sox nation into the world.
The department includes eight divisions in all specialty areas. Office locations include Boston, Brookline, Chelsea, Chestnut Hill, Lexington, Milton, Needham, Plymouth, and Roxbury.
We are looking for a strong candidate with a positive attitude that can multitask and work in a fast paced department. High level communicating skills are essential. This position is primarily supporting our main Boston campus location and our One Brookline place campus. Ability to be flexible in working at 2 sites is required.
This is a full time 40 hours per week position Monday to Friday.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 27752BR
Job Summary: The Patient Service Rep I interacts extensively via telephone with patients, the public, healthcare providers, support staff and other Medical Center personnel. As a first point of contact, the position requires excellent customer service skills, broad-judgment, independent thinking, and problem solving. Makes a significant impact on the first impression of patients and visitors when they are calling the department for appointments or other support needs.
- Answers, screens, and processes a high volume of incoming calls in a professional manner. Directs patient access to the practice by scheduling and canceling patient appointments for a multiple providers.
- Utilizes and adheres to a phone script, clinical decision trees and scheduling criteria following department guidelines. Uses independent knowledge within scope of knowledge and training to determine the type of appointment needed and urgency to schedule the patient to the appropriate provider or triage the call.
- Communicates, to patients and internal and external ordering physicians' offices, complex exam preparations instructions including, but not limited to, pre-procedure laboratory test requirements and other necessary preparations instructions.
- Sends out accurate and complete communication e-mails to physicians or other healthcare providers.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated skills in service excellence including active listening, problem solving, and the ability to remain calm in emotional or stressful situations.
- Attention to detail, strong verbal communication, customer service and keyboarding skills.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Medical terminology knowledge.
- Prior experience working in telephone customer service.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally