Patient Information Specialist - 1st & 2nd shift
Department Description: The Patient Information Specialist will be supporting our Emergency Department in this position which will cover both 1st and 2nd shifts.
The schedule for this position includes 7am-3:30pm and 3pm-11:30pm shifts, and does include rotating weekends and holidays.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41423BR
Job Summary: Provides excellent service and coordination to patients, visitors, physicians and other medical center personnel in two functions: patient information and registration and will rotate to either role as needed. Interacts with diverse populations including the public, patients and their families, medical staff practitioners and medical center personnel and must handle difficult patient situations in an often fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Organizes clinical medical charts for all ED patients and prepares charts for any necessary transport. Assists in managing patient medical records by communicating with the Medical Records Department to ensure that all patients have only a single, accurate medical record on file.
- Triages all phone calls coming into the ED, including calls from outside providers, patient family members, and BIDMC clinicians from other parts of the Medical Center. Communicates important medical information between ED clinical staff, and operates both the electronic and the public address paging systems.
- Collects and verifies information for every patient entering the ED, including full contact details, insurance policies, and visit-specific information. Completes bedside registration in a respectful and professional manner. Verifies insurance information whenever possible, making changes to patient records as necessary. Performs insurance searches for those patients arriving without information.
- Ensures that every patient signs a general consent statement and a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) statement as he or she is able and willing, and can distribute information about both the consent and HIPAA regulations to any and all patients and patient family members.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Third party coverage, patient registration and billing experience.
- Excellent Customer Service.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement