Patient Care Tech Trainee
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is offering a new program to hire certified nursing assistants, home health aides and direct care workers with recent experience, train them in the acute care skills needed to be successful Patient Care Technicians, and place them in full time jobs on inpatient floors.
The paid training program is three weeks with the first two weeks part-time (first week 24 hours, second week 20 hours) and the third week full-time (40 hours). The first day of the training participants will attend the hospital’s New Employee Orientation from 8:30am - 4pm. The remainder of the first week and all of the second week, participants will participate in classroom and skills training from
3pm - 7pm. The last week will be full-time from 7am -3:30pm and participants will receive hands on trainingon an inpatient floor. After completing the training,
participants will orient the following week on their assigned unit.
Patient care technicians work closely with nursing teams to support patients in many ways, from taking their blood pressure to helping a doctor with a physical exam. They observe and report on patients’ conditions, check vital signs and assist patients with many tasks that they cannot do for themselves. Nurses and doctors rely on technicians to ensure a safe and quality experience for patients.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30787BR
Job Summary: Collaborates with a nursing team to provide quality patient care.
- Collaborates with a registered nurse on developing a patient's care plan.
- Develops and maintains competencies as delegated by a registered nurse, including sterile dressing changes.
- Maintains the safety of patients who have been identified at risk for preventable injury by the implementation of nursing safety interventions or the use of protective devices/equipment under the supervision of the registered nurse.
- Reports all patient activity to the registered nurse in a timely manner.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- If currently enrolled in High School Program must receive GED/diploma prior to start date.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- CNA/HHA experience
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.