Mystery Shopper (Per Diem)
Department Description: Mystery Shoppers are per diem employees who pose as patients to gather information about front line staff customer service in the Medical Center. Mystery Shoppers undergo extensive and ongoing training on customer service guidelines.
Mystery Shoppers make telephone calls from our BIDMC office, posing as a new patient. We prepare using a tool sheet with fictional patient demographics and a clinical scenario. We monitor how a scheduler goes through the new patient intake, registering the patient and informing them about the practice and their appointment. At the conclusion of a call, the Mystery Shopper reveals their identity. Using a supportive approach, the shopper reviews aspects of the call that stood out, both positive and suggestions for improvement. A written report is submitted to the manager.
Waiting Room Shops
We enter the waiting room as visitors. During our visit, we note the presence or absence of required items such as signs, masks, and brochures. Our main focus is on customer service. We observe interactions between staff, patients and visitors, taking note of staff productivity, professionalism and friendliness, and duties such as answering telephones and checking patients in and out. We are alert to privacy issues and submit a written summary of the visit to the practice management.
Our goal is to support practices in their efforts to improve the patient experience.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 25643BR
Job Summary: Acts as a Mystery Shopper by posing as patients in person and via telephone to evaluate the customer service staff in service positions at BIDMC and its affiliates. Mystery shopping is performed at BIDMC and offsite locations during regular business hours. Must have a flexible schedule for assignments. Requires walking/traveling between hospital campuses and between the hospital and offsite locations.
- Makes telephone calls and visits to patient service areas, convincingly posing as patient or patient's family member. Prepares patient demographic and clinical scenarios in advance.
- Provides real time positive and constructive feedback and coaching to staff using established assessment tools.
- Completes a narrative summary of each experience that is descriptive, well-written and that justifies any subjective ratings. Enters results accurately into central database, ensuring the data and the narrative support one another, stresses important procedures and protocols and provides constructive customer service feedback.
- Identifies customer service situations that require immediate notification of the manager or director according to defined protocols.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- 1+ years of customer service experience
- Typing skills of 40+ wpm
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.