Medical Assistant - Lead
Department Description: Medical assistant working lead with biopsy fusion system.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 29895BR
Job Summary: The Medical Assistant Lead takes a leadership role in the department, acting as a trainer, resource and mentor for other Medical Assistants and staff. Performs a wide variety of medical assisting activities during patient visits in an outpatient clinical setting. Involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including patients, medical staff practitioners and medical center personnel.
At BIDMC, a Medical Assistant in a hospital-based practice is not authorized to perform duties that can be performed only by licensed personnel, which includes, but is not limited to, drawing up medications and/or medication administration or flushing an IV.
- Performs the responsibilities of a Medical Assistant and oversees the work of others. Serves as a role model/mentor, providing support, training and sharing knowledge with other medical assistants and practice assistants in the department.
- Services as a resource in own functional area. Provides guidance and assistance to resolve problems and issues. Acts as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating team setting and identifying areas for improvement.
- Performs a wide variety of activities during patient visits, including but not limited to vital signs, EKGs, phlebotomy and assisting during routine procedures. Takes complete and accurate information from patients, prioritizing and communicating information to clinical staff appropriately.
- Performs appropriate departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards as required. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Schedules follow-up tests and appointments using hospital systems. Contacts patients with reminder appointments.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated MA competencies or equivalent MA experience gained through any of the following: MA Certificate. Associates degree in Medical Assisting. CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate. Currently enrolled nursing student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Allied Health and Physician Assistant program candidates. Home Health Aide experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Two or more years experience in a healthcare environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.