Managed Care Coordinator
Department Description: Healthcare Associates (HCA) is a robust adult primary care practice at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center offering comprehensive health services to enhance the quality of life for our patients. Healthcare Associates (HCA) has received Level 3 (scale 1-3 with 3 as the highest) recognition as a Patient Centered Medical Home and averages 400 patient visits per day and manages a panel of 41,000 patients.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 32501BR
Job Summary: Works collaboratively with primary care or specialty physicians, their patients and practices to coordinate and process managed care referrals and / or authorizations for patient care services, complying with BIDCO's and BIDMC's contractual rules for multiple managed care insurance payers.
- Collaborates with referring physicians, patients and support staff to request, obtain, record, and attach primary and/or specialty care managed care referral and authorization requests for multiple managed care insurance payers for a high volume of patients.
- Utilizes electronic technologies to initiate, request, and procure a high volume of referral and authorizations for multiple managed care payers.
- Educates patients about the referral process, programs offered, and services provided at BIDMC and affiliated CareGroup institutions. Communicates to the provider and/or patient the level of care, number of visits being authorized.
- Communicates with managed care payers to resolve patient referral management issues. As appropriate, coordinates referrals with hospital's discharge planner and registration and pre-certification admitting department as required by the insurance company.
- Provides referral management training and oversight to department new hires. Contributes as a managed care resource for everyone on the unit including all patients, physicians, social workers, nurses, practice assistants, and support staff.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Two years of experience in referral management or insurance managed care environment.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Primary care experience
- Basic and complex medical coding and medical terminology
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally