Lab Support Assistant
Department Description: The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31706BR
Job Summary: Enters patient test orders and demographic information into the computer system.
- Enters specimen demographics and test orders into the computer. Adds tests, when requested , to the appropriate specimen type. Identifies and labels specimens according to protocol. Packages specimens safely for transport. Appropriately handles specimens upon arrival at the laboratory. Processes both routine and STAT specimens, according to protocol.
- Processes and aliquots specimens to meet service goals. Stores specimens in the appropriate location and maintains the integrity of the specimens at all times. Retrieves specimens for add on. Identifies, labels and processes specimens for testing, while following all standard operating and safety procedures.
- Answers the telephone promptly and courteously.
- Maintains a clean and well-stocked work area.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Laboratory experience.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.