Inpatient Pharmacy Technician Manager
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care.
This role is supporting our Inpatient Pharmacy Technician Operations for BIDMC Boston.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 47569BR
Job Summary: The Pharmacy Technician Manager oversees and ensures the quality of pharmacy technician services in the inpatient, emergency department and operating room areas. Oversees the day to day operations of the pharmacy technicians and is a resource and support for operational issues. Responsible for the maintenance, evaluation and implementation of pharmacy related systems and operations with a focus on enhancing efficiencies and reducing waste. Responsible for scheduling, operations, and performance oversight for pharmacy technicians. Oversees the inpatient FTE budget and assures that staffing models are in alignment with departmental budgets.
- Practices pharmacy in accordance with the laws, rules, and regulation of the MA Board of Registration in Pharmacy, the Department of Public Health, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, and the Drug Enforcement Administration and in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures. Maintains credentials in accordance the MA Board of Registration in Pharmacy.
- Manages and oversees daily operations of pharmacy technicians with regards to drug distribution, workflow optimization, safety and efficacy in accordance with the laws and regulations governing technicians and the practice of pharmacy by the appropriate state and federal agencies.
- Responsible for development, implementation, administration, and quality assessment of pharmacy systems, policies, and procedures.
- Serves as the Hiring Manager for technicians and coordinates and maintains scheduling, payroll, training, ongoing competency monitoring and the development and evaluation of pharmacy personnel. Ensures appropriate coverage for assigned areas and shifts.
- Participates in on-call responsibilities. Assists with other projects as assigned.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 11-20
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- License Certfied Pharmacy Technician required., and Registration Pharm Tech Cert Board required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- This position requires strong analytical skills, defining work problems, and designing a system of procedures to resolve problems.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.