Infection Control Practitioner
Department Description: The Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology Unit is committed to an effective program for surveillance, prevention and control of infection. Our goals are to provide, on a continuous basis, quality care with minimized risk of infection to our patients and a work environment for employees that offers protection from infection through a program of occupational health and safety. These goals are achieved through a collaborative program of quality assessment and improvement that emphasizes measurable outcomes, fiscal responsibility and total quality management.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 25220BR
Job Summary: The ICP3 participates in the Infection Control/ Hospital Epidemiology program by assisting the ICP4s and hospital epidemiologists in activities including surveillance, data collection, education and research. The ICP3 may be a nurse or other health care professional (such as MPH or microbiologist) who has a thorough understanding of the healthcare system and a growing independence and expertise in infection prevention in academic tertiary care centers. Key job functions include routine surveillance for healthcare-associated infections and TB, functioning independently as a content expert for construction issues and as the point person for several units/service lines.
- Work up potential patient and staff exposures, complete exposure report forms, and communicate with Employee Health and unit managers.
- Write and update infection control guidelines with support from ICP4 and hospital epidemiologists.
- Independently perform TB case evaluation and management, including reporting; evaluate and manage issues related to high level disinfection and sterilization. Participate in TJC readiness efforts, BPHC and MDPH visits, and TJC and CMS surveys.
- Independently and regularly perform healthcare-associated infection surveillance (bloodstream infections, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and surgical site infections) with good accuracy and consistency. Discuss difficult cases with ICP4 or hospital epidemiologists.
- Function as the primary infection control contact/content expert for several inpatient units or service lines. Regularly review surveillance data for assigned units/service lines looking for trends and any indications of clusters or infections of high concern. Perform site visits (on and offsite) and provide unit-/service line-based education and orientations.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in Infection Control, Public Health, Epidemiology, or Statistics preferred.
- License Registered Nurse preferred., and Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) must be maintained.
- Professional licensure in related field (RN, MT, etc) must be maintained as active.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Tertiary Care Experience preferred.
- Experience with automated infection control surveillance systems preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.