Infection Control Practitioner
Department Description: The Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology Unit is committed to an effective program for surveillance, prevention and control of infection. Our goals are to provide, on a continuous basis, quality care with minimized risk of infection to our patients and a work environment for employees that offers protection from infection through a program of occupational health and safety. These goals are achieved through a collaborative program of quality assessment and improvement that emphasizes measurable outcomes, fiscal responsibility and total quality management.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 25220BR
Job Summary: The ICP3 participates in the Infection Control/ Hospital Epidemiology program by assisting the ICP4s and hospital epidemiologists in activities including surveillance, data collection, education and research. The ICP3 may be a nurse or other health care professional (such as MPH or microbiologist) who has a thorough understanding of the healthcare system and a growing independence and expertise in infection prevention in academic tertiary care centers. Key job functions include routine surveillance for healthcare-associated infections and TB, functioning independently as a content expert for construction issues and as the point person for several units/service lines.
- Work up potential patient and staff exposures, complete exposure report forms, and communicate with Employee Health and unit managers.
- Write and update infection control guidelines with support from ICP4 and hospital epidemiologists.
- Independently perform TB case evaluation and management, including reporting; evaluate and manage issues related to high level disinfection and sterilization. Participate in TJC readiness efforts, BPHC and MDPH visits, and TJC and CMS surveys.
- Independently and regularly perform healthcare-associated infection surveillance (bloodstream infections, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and surgical site infections) with good accuracy and consistency. Discuss difficult cases with ICP4 or hospital epidemiologists.
- Function as the primary infection control contact/content expert for several inpatient units or service lines. Regularly review surveillance data for assigned units/service lines looking for trends and any indications of clusters or infections of high concern. Perform site visits (on and offsite) and provide unit-/service line-based education and orientations.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in Infection Control, Public Health, Epidemiology, or Statistics preferred.
- License Registered Nurse preferred., and Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) must be maintained.
- Professional licensure in related field (RN, MT, etc) must be maintained as active.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Tertiary Care Experience preferred.
- Experience with automated infection control surveillance systems preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally