Histology Tech Assistant - Dermatology Surgery
Department Description: To work per diem in our dermatology surgical unit cutting tissue specimens and preparing slides in our Boston and Needham locations. Experience with Mohs Surgery strongly preferred.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41556BR
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Senior Histotechnologist and/or Histotechnologist Supervisor, and staff surgeons, performs standardized histologic procedures utilizing the Mohs technique for cutting and preparing frozen tissue specimens for study, adhering to the CLIA, CAP and OSHA standards. Maintains Mohs database and keeps an accurate record of specimens. Performs general administrative duties and maintenance of instruments. Maintains inventory of supplies. Provides the highest level of customer service as expected by the medical center and by the Department of Dermatology.
- Under supervision, cuts and prepares frozen tissue by the Mohs micrographic surgery. Performs standard histological procedures such as frozen-sectioning, mounting the sectioned tissue on glass slides, staining and cover-slipping prepared slides for microscopic examination.
- Provides assistance to the Mohs surgeon with illustration of the lesion site and processing of the requested specimen. Prepares and determines the suitability of solutions, reagents and stains following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Operates, maintains and performs quality control on laboratory equipment including but not limited to cleaning, disinfecting, temperature regulation or adjustments and routine maintenance. Files slides in order and when properly cured, files slides in a labeled slide drawer; performs other related duties as required.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- 6-12 months of on the job experience or comprehensive training from a qualified technologist in order to gain knowledge.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; excellent hand to eye coordination; strong listening and problem solving skills. Ability to remain calm in emotional or stressful situations.
- Attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and work independently as a strong contributing member to a cohesive surgical team.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Knowledge of biology, anatomy, chemistry and mathematics.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement