FSW 2-Cashier and Cafe Servers
Department Description: The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 11:30 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30440BR
Job Summary: Performs a wide range of tasks, including preparation, set up, storage and delivery of food items to patients and customers.
- All foods plated/portioned according to the standards and in the quantities specified on the menu. Prepares protein salads, vegetables, fruits, sandwiches, etc. as needed. Finishes baking of frozen convenience food products. Works in the grill/pizza areas.
- Works on the cash register in the cafeteria and ensures accuracy of drawer.
- Plans and prioritizes catering deliveries. Organizes food and equipment for the function. Makes sandwiches, salads, baked goods, etc. as needed. Delivers items to event location and is responsible for the set-up and break-down of each function. Communicates all needs to production and supervisory staff. Maintains sanitary condition of all catering equipment.
- Sets up designated station with proper utensils, plates, etc. Works on assigned station during meal service. Serves food in the cafeteria. Keeps supervisor informed of menu item supply levels in a timely fashion to avoid runouts. Breaks down designated station following the completion of serving line. Restocks work area thoroughly.
- Occasionally assembles patient meals as ordered through the At Your Request Room Service Dining system. Uses proper portion for entrées, salads, desserts, and beverages. Prepares food items to par levels in advance of peak meal periods (fruit cups, tossed salads, desserts, beverages). Follows procedures for preparing special trays (Kosher, Low Bacteria, Isolation, Psychiatry, Gastric By-pass).
- Some High School required.
- Certificate 1 Serve Safe preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Six months to one year of food service experience.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.