EVS Associate - Inpatient
Department Description: The Environmental Services Team helps BIDMC and our patients by providing a clean environment for our patients to heal. Hospital Environmental Services is about more than just cleanliness, we save lives! Our Environmental Services Team is focused on the top challenges that we face: • Ensuring consistently high levels of cleanliness • Raising patient and staff satisfaction • Employing environmentally conscious cleaning practices • Preventing hospital-acquired infections. Our goal is to create an inviting and professional environment, consistently exceeding regulatory standards and patient/staff expectations through our responsive EVS team and our highly efficient processes.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31558BR
Job Summary: The EVS Associate - In Patient performs daily cleaning tasks in patient areas, office, public, and/or other non-patient areas. This includes daily cleaning, equipment cleaning and project cleaning in an assigned area. Responsible as a member of the healthcare team for respectful and compassionate communication and interaction with our customers. May include, but is not limited to: NICU, PACU, ICU, Inpatient Unit-Based Cleaner, Float Team, Discharge Team, Runner, and duties of EVS Assoc-Public.
- Performs multiple step cleaning procedure, daily cleaning, discharge cleaning, discharge bed making, O.R.
cleaning, between case cleaning, upholstery, wall, and glass care. Continues work from previous shift, reports all incomplete assignments and maintenance issues.
- Performs dry mopping, wet mopping of common areas using appropriate equipment including a floor care machine. Performs floor and carpet care techniques, such as carpet bonneting and extracting.
- Responds to stat orders such as discharges, spills, floods, and all hospital-wide emergency drills. Cleans
up all organic body waste (i.e. blood, feces, sputum, and urine). Cleans patient equipment including: IV
poles, commodes, monitors and cables, specialty equipment, stretchers, wheel chairs, and cardiac chairs.
Assists in moves, special set-ups and any other occasion as needed
- Collects solid and contaminated waste. Seals boxes used for contaminated waste in the area where the waste is generated. Delivers boxes after sealing to the designated areas and delivers it to the compactor area.
- Uses department procedures in preparation and selection of cleaning solutions. Reports low supply of inventory to supervisor and/or team leader. Signs equipment in and out of designated storage areas. Keeps housekeeping cart clean, stocked and orderly. Reports any malfunctioning equipment to supervisor and/or team leader. Delivers soiled mops, cleaning cloths, and linen to designated area.
- Some High School required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.