Department Description: Our Emergency Department (ED) is a level I trauma center serving the Boston metropolitan area. Each year nearly 55,000 patients are treated in the Emergency Department. Our state-of-the-art facility is designed to meet the needs of a high-volume, acutely injured or ill patient population.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42834BR
Job Summary: Performs multiple clinical responsibilities in coordination with a team of healthcare providers to expedite the flow of patients through the department and provide the best experience and care for patients.
- Prioritizes and completes responsibilities delegated by nurses and physicians. Maintains a calm and professional demeanor work while working in fast pace, highly demanding environment. (essential)
- Performs a variety of duties including EKGs, phlebotomy, wound care, splinting, crutch walking, and patient activities of daily living. Assists providers in the delivery of care and assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations.
- Performs phlebotomy and specimen collection and point of service lab testing according to protocol and quality control standards. Communicates results to the appropriate staff and documents in the medical record.
- Transports stable cardiac telemetry patients to the inpatient units under the direction of the ED nurse. Transfers patients from the room monitor to the travel monitor, attaches oxygen and obtains other equipment needed for transport.
- Maintains supply inventory needed to maintain daily operations. Stocks supplies, linen or office goods. Ensures used equipment is cleaned by appropriate process and is ready for the next patient.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training preferred in EMT or Paramedic
- Certificate 1 required: Basic Life Support, and Certificate 2 preferred: Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- EMT, Paramedic, Certified Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant training. Emergency Department experience.
- Nursing student with completion of one clinical rotation or other direct patient care experience
- One or more years of college education in associated medical field
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement