DX Tech Trainee
Department Description: Radiology Dept
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 29635BR
Job Summary: The Radiology Tech Trainee position is for a student who within 6 months will graduated from an approved Radiography program and receive a MA license (if applicable). The Trainee reports to a Department Manager in Radiology, the trainee is responsible for assisting technologist in exam rooms, and transporting patients to and from the department according to departmental protocols. The Trainee assists in a wide variety of technical, clerical and patient care duties that provide assistance for patients, radiologists, technologists and nurses.
- Provides clerical support including: maintaining logs, answering phones, paging staff, printing requests, assigning transport, greeting and monitoring patients.
- Recognizes and assumes responsibility for reporting patient care or safety concerns to appropriate staff. Monitors patients in the exam rooms or holding area when needed. Observes patient's condition and reports any sudden changes to a technologist, nurse or physician.
- Transports patients to and from the department according to departmental protocols. Notifies technologists of any delays that may effect operational work flow. Assist with patient transfers to and from exam tables and may assist the technologist with positioning the patient for the exam.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of working area, stretchers and wheelchairs. Provides daily/monthly room, supply checks and inventory counts in accordance with the department's inventory procedures.
- Prepares exam rooms for procedures. Sets up equipment according to the department's exam protocol by selecting appropriate modes. Set up accessory equipment and necessary medical /surgical supplies for examination. Performs miscellaneous duties such as collection and transporting supplies and specimens.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree in Medical Radiography preferred.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required., and MA lisc and ARRT eligible within 6 months of hire
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.