Director - Contact Center
Department Description: BIDMC’s Division of Ambulatory Services encompasses close to 70 locations, offers more than 35 medical and surgical specialties and employs over 2,300 people. In addition to the main BIDMC hospital campus in Boston, multispecialty ambulatory care centers are located in Chelsea, Chestnut Hill, Dorchester, Lexington, and Needham.
The Division of Ambulatory Services strives to deliver on BIDMC’s promise of extraordinary care by focusing on improving the health of our patient population, while nurturing the patient and family experience. We strive to provide timely and appropriate access to high quality care in a low cost and efficient environment, whether this care is provided at the hospital or at one of our many convenient community locations
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 27098BR
Job Summary: This position will be operationally responsible for the Care Connection Call Center, as well as, the Digestive Disease Call Center. This position will serve as a resource and develop synergies amongst ambulatory call centers with a goal of standardizing and leveraging shared resources to promote the most effective approach to scheduling and interacting with patients by telephone. This position will be responsible for providing strategic direction, planning and implementation to set goals and objectives for the expansion of a centralized BIDMC Ambulatory call center. This position will need to utilize project management skills, operational skills, tools, measurements and metrics to standardize patient experience. This position will also be responsible for partnering closely with the Telecommunications department to ensure that call center software system meets the operational needs of the department.
- Full responsibility/accountability for all operations; administrative, clinical, fiscal, of designated areas.
- Appoints, develops, directly supervises and evaluates call center managers in designated areas of accountability.
- Lead call center collaborative to develop best practices for call centers across all ambulatory clinics and procedural areas.
- Serve as operational expert of the tools and resources available to support call centers.
- Lead effort to expand the BIDMC centralized call center for ambulatory services.
- Has the authority to direct and support managers with functional area responsibilities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: 21-50
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- More than 10 years related work experience required in Healthcare and/or Contact/Call Center and 5-8 years supervisory/management experience required
- Demonstrates proficiency in the area of project management and program expansion.
- Experience in data and systems analysis, quality management and performance improvement.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally