Clinical Practice Assistant
Department Description: Feldberg 7 is an oncology unit with 28 inpatient beds where patients are primarily admitted for treatment of hematological malignancies. Patients are admitted for induction and maintenance chemotherapy for the treatment of leukemia’s and lymphomas, to manage post chemotherapy complications, to undergo bone marrow transplantation and to manage post bone marrow transplantation complications. Medical oncology patients may be admitted onto this unit based on bed availability.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 26751BR
Job Summary: Performs both administrative and clinical functions to support smooth and efficient practice operations, while contributing to BIDMC's promise of providing extraordinary care. Communicates with patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person. Duties include but are not limited to greeting, check-in, scheduling and medical assisting. Assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient care functions. Reports to Practice Manager or RN with input from assigned Physicians, Nurses or other health care providers.
- Performs medical assisting duties which may include, but are not limited to, vital signs, height and weight, EKGs, performing phlebotomy and assisting during routine procedures. Ensures that all patient care areas are clean, organized, stocked and ready for patient use. Escorts patients to ancillary service areas such as radiology and lab as needed.
- Performs appropriate point of care testing, such as lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards to ensure proper functioning and accuracy of testing equipment. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Monitors, orders and/or maintains medical equipment and supplies, ensuring they are clean, sterilized, stocked and within expiration dates.
- Performs initial review of medication lists in the electronic medical record for final review by licensed practitioners. May retrieve schedule VI and over the counter medications only, under supervision of licensed providers; is not authorized to perform licensed personnel duties, which include but are not limited to drawing up medications, medication administration or flushing IVs.
- Uses the electronic medical record system (OMR) to queue prescription renewals for review by a licensed provider. As directed by a clinician, enters/scribes orders for tests, services or appointments in OMR. During the visit, accurately documents tasks, as they are completed, in OMR to ensure proper billing (Facility Worksheet).
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required., or Associates degree in Medical Assisting or demonstrated MA competencies or equivalent MA experience.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.