Department Description: The Administrative Supervisor role oversees the Division of Allergy and Inflammation. This role is responsible for the overall administrative functions including day to day scheduling needs, maintaining provider templates, supervision of administrative and clinical staff, referral management, phone support and triage. Offering guidance and training while delegating work tasks. Working closely with practice operations manager and director to ensure the best patient care outcome.
This role requires cross coverage and flexibility. Willingness to provide additional support as needed, staffing coverage. Ability to be proactive in your work and think outside the box to achieve department goals. Excellent customer service skills and partnership. Higher level professionalism and ability to adapt and implement change.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41382BR
Job Summary: Supervises the administrative staff and functions that support business operations. Serves as a senior level administrative professional and resource.
- Implements and coordinates administrative systems, policies and processes to ensure the smooth flow of administrative work in the unit. Establishes guidelines for work practices and methods to increase effectiveness and efficiency. Supervises administrative staff and prioritizes workflow. Assists in daily administrative activities as needed.
- Functions as an administrative work team leader. Establishes criteria for acceptable work performance. Evaluates quality of work according to performance standards. Identifies staff training needs to ensure proficiency; orients and trains new administrative staff.
- Acts as a liaison between healthcare providers, staff and management. Provides information and responds to inquiries. Resolves immediate problems within the unit and reports ongoing problems to the manager. Seeks assistance from manager and human resources staff when appropriate.
- Coaches and mentors individual staff to encourage exceptional performance and improvement in areas of weakness. Identifies opportunities for staff development. Counsels employees on unsatisfactory work performance or behavior.Works with management and Human Resources on implementing corrective actions as needed. Prepares and participates in annual performance reviews.
- Leads or participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings and maintains minutes. Represents the unit and staff at assigned meetings and handles additional administrative responsibilities at the discretion of the manager.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 4-6 Indirect Reports: None
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- 5+ years administrative experience with progressive responsibility and leadership skills.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience in healthcare or academic administration.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement