Senior Accountant - HMFP
Department Description: The Senior Accountant opportunity, working with the Accounting Department at Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians (HMFP), will be located in Woburn, MA.
Job Location: Woburn, MA
Req ID: 27424BR
Job Summary: This position reporting to the Assistant Controller assists Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians (HMFP) in developing accurate and timely monthly financial statements. Ensures all cash collections, accounts payable, deposits, journal entries, financial reports and reconciliations are accurately completed.
- Assists in the month end close including the production of accurate and timely financial statements on both an accrual and cash basis.
- Writes journal entries to record net patient service revenue, contract revenue, wages and benefits, and other revenues and expenses incurred by departments on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all journal entries, enabling the production of accurate departmental and physician level profit and loss (P/L) statements. Understands and appreciates the importance of physician P/L accuracy; inaccurate information could negatively impact physician compensation.
- Applies critical reasoning skills and professional judgment in reviewing balance sheet (BS) and PL balances and proposes additional entries as necessary.
- Maintains up to date and accurate monthly account reconciliations. Reconciles and maintains schedules supporting account balances based on source documentation. Proposes correcting entries as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- A strong understanding of the principles of accrual accounting.
- Must be a value add contributor to the team with strong work ethic and ability to be a self-starter; acts as a change agent to streamline and improve processes.
- Excellent attention to detail along with a grasp of the larger sense of the organization's financial activities.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Experience in accounting, finance, and/or related field.
- EPICOR and/or FRX experience.
- Prior experience working in Healthcare.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally