Pharmacy Inventory Controller
Department Description: Our Specialty Pharmacy is located in Westwood, MA and includes a distribution center and fulfillment center.
Job Location: Westwood, MA
Req ID: 40946BR
Job Summary: The Pharmacy Inventory Controller is responsible for facilitating the procurement of medicine and pharmacy supplies that meet the prescribed safety and health standards at a cost-effective price for the retail and specialty pharmacies. Keeping accurate records of purchases, reconciling with invoices, ensuring payment of invoices, and return-to-stock for both retail and specialty pharmacies. Additionally, stocking and maintaining of pharmacy automation.
- Receives order to ensure separation of duties, matches purchase orders with packing slips, escalates packing slip/purchase order mismatches with distributors and manufacturers.
- Assumes a major role in conducting semi-annual inventory tally in cooperation with the Pharmacy Manager. Performs duties as needed by Pharmacy for scheduled and unscheduled time off.
- Responsible for overseeing physical inventories in cooperation with the Internal Audit and Finance department.
- Ensures all drugs and supplies are appropriately ordered, received, stored, secured and maintained as per standards of practice and manufacturer guidelines. Ensures appropriate pedigree according to Federal and State laws, rules and regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining and loading of all pharmacy automation as it pertains to retail pharmacy operations.
- Utilize pharmacy software to optimize inventory PAR levels to monitor and maintain inventory, maximize inventory turns by planning and forecasting purchasing needs, minimize and manage slow movers, and manage aged, excess, obsolescence, backorders, and shrinkage and coordinates pharmaceutical returns and credits.
- Works with vendors and wholesalers to submit orders through the appropriate channels, such as wholesaler, GPO, dropship, 340B, or manufacturer designee.
- Works directly with finance and analysts to provide ongoing and end of month accruals, complete inventory count, cross charges, invoice coding, and financial performance reports for the department.
- Oversight of Pharmacy drug and product recalls for both retail and specialty pharmacies.
- Assists with the tabulation of the weekly and biennial controlled substances inventory. Oversees the implementation and oversight of CSOS or online C2 ordering for the retail pharmacy. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Registration Certfied Pharmacy Technician required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in Medical field.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement