Medical Economics Analyst
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Care Organization (BIDCO) is a value-based physician and hospital network and an Accountable Care Organization (ACO). With its corporate office located in Westwood, Mass., BIDCO offers physician groups and hospitals the structure to contract, share risk, and build care management systems together, with the goal of providing the highest quality care in the most cost-efficient way.
This is a 40 hours per week position located in Westwood, MA.
Ideal candidate will have prior healthcare and SQL experience.
Job Location: Westwood, MA
Req ID: 27454BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the Manager, Performance Analytics, the medical economics analyst will effectively combine business knowledge and technical expertise to provide analytics in support of corporate and departmental strategic goals. Promote data driven decision making with Senior Leadership and relevant stakeholders, such as key Members including Physician and Hospital representatives, through the ability to turn data into information and present complex topics in a concise manner utilizing data visualization. Continually interpret trends to identify key drivers and anticipate the impact for BIDCO members. Utilize dashboards and scorecards to provide transparency into the data and performance against targets at all levels.
- Working with all relevant stakeholders, produce analytics across a variety of subject matters including medical and quality management, network management, contracting, and new business development.
- Produce and monitor monthly trends in cost and utilization and quality metrics to explain drivers of financial results and highlight areas of opportunity for implementation of data-driven solutions to favorably impact medical costs and quality improvement.
- Utilize BI tools in designing dashboards, scorecards, and reports to track key healthcare quality and efficiency metrics by Risk Unit, practice, physician and care management program. Communicate findings of performance trends and identification of areas of opportunity for performance improvement.
- Use BI tools and/or SQL coding skills to support advanced analytic drill downs.
- Leverage, promote and support the use of existing technology and BI solutions available to Physician and Hospital stakeholders to provide data that will inform decision making and drive performance.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in a health care analytics role.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Field of study in mathematics, economics, statistics or finance preferred.
- Understanding of SAS, SQL Access, EHR systems, and/or EHR data constructs preferred.
- Experience with healthcare services utilization/reimbursement concepts and/or experience designing visual analytics in a business intelligence (BI) platform such as Tableau, Microsoft BI tools, or Qlik preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally