Department Description: Working as part of the Quality Assurance team for BILH Laboratory Leadership, the Lean practitioner will support process improvement initiatives across all 13 clinical laboratories within BILH Laboratory Shared Services. BILH laboratories deliver critical test results, supporting the BILH mission of providing high-quality health care, making health care more affordable, and improving patient outcomes. This position will require travel to laboratory locations as needed, and will intersect with many key stakeholders across BILH laboratories.
Job Location: Westwood, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45306BR
Job Summary: The Lean Practitioner is responsible for collaborating with BILH leadership and other key stakeholders at all levels to drive continuous improvement in operational performance and efficiency.
- Utilizes Lean methodology; change management; and problem solving.
- Builds strong relationships with all levels of BILH leadership, and supports leadership to implement Lean strategy development and process improvement for assigned areas.
- Anticipates and offers recommendations on how to best achieve system-wide adoption of a continuous improvement mindset and highly reliable operations.
- Mentors/coaches others; empowering them to manage for daily improvement, and to become leaders in expanding a Lean Six Sigma philosophy.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability and desire to motivate others.
- Leads large scale transformation efforts.
- Solves problems in complicated and complex situations through the application of strong analytical skills, creativity, and judgment. Can think strategically and innovatively.
- Leads process improvement, problem solving and change management using advanced Lean and Six Sigma tools and methods.
- Coaches mid-level executives on Lean leadership and manages culture change throughout the organization.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- Lean and Six Sigma Certification.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in coaching for daily improvements with some direct supervision experience..
- 5 to 10 years experience in using Lean methods, tools, strategies and philosophies; Coaching to principles of Lean Transformation.
- Strong project management and analytical/problem-solving skills in scoping and analyzing cross-functional problems and generate/implement effective solutions.
- Significant experience leveraging VSMs and Rapid Improvement Events (Kaizen events), A3 thinking, Managing for Daily Improvement, 5S, Visual Management and Standard Work
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience with executive level stakeholders and stakeholder management.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple ongoing projects at one time.
- Experience developing and coordinating training resources to educate staff at all levels on A3 problem solving skills, Lean, Six Sigma, Agile and other performance improvement/change management methodologies.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.