Director, Pharmacy Supply Chain
Department Description: Pharmacy Supply Chain
Job Location: Westwood, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42696BR
Job Summary: The Director, Pharmacy Supply Chain is responsible for the overall operations of the Central Distribution Center (CDC) of pharmaceuticals and supplies which supports all the hospital and clinic entities in the BILH system. The role is responsible for the planning, designing, managing and improving the function of a CDC in support of BILH hospitals and clinics. The role will also lead and help coordinate the pharmaceutical supply chain and purchasing functions for the BILH system ensuring financial cost savings and compliance with State and Federal regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Direct oversight of the Central Distribution Center (CDC) including the design, implementation and management to ensure it fulfills its intended function to efficiently and cost effectively manage pharmaceuticals and supplies for the hospitals and clinics in BILH.
- Ensures effective and timely staff recruitment, orientation, training, education, mentoring, career development, performance review, and retention efforts.
- Defines the qualifications and performance expectations for their staff and ensures an optimal number of qualified individuals to provide efficient services to meet organizational needs and satisfy regulatory and accrediting requirements. Ensures adequate inventory, selection and procurement of medications.
- Assures the security, proper storage, inventory control, diversion prevention, and distribution of medications, including reverse distribution and pharmaceutical waste disposal in compliance with state and federal rules and regulations. Ensures appropriate Formulary is obtained and distributed to all entities.
- Ensures continued compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to medications and their use. Responsible for the compliance with Joint Commission medication management standards and National Patient Safety Goals related to medications and for maintaining accreditations and licenses.
- Works with and facilitates a BILH pharmacy supply chain and purchasing group with the various entities to ensure a coordinated and highly aligned purchasing and pharmacy supply chain group across the system. With the purpose to drive efficiencies and reduce costs across the system.
- Leverages pharmacy technology and automated systems to optimize the medication-use system ensuring safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of the medication management process. Provides leadership regarding planning, purchasing, implementing, and maintaining inventory management systems.
- Works with BILH Pharmacy Inc leadership to drive and implement the strategic initatives identified.
- Demonstrates the personal leadership qualities and business acumen essential to operate effectively a pharmacy department and to advance the profession and practice of pharmacy. Serves as the primary pharmacy representative on relevant committees and develops collaborative relationships across the health system to achieve optimal medication management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 11-20
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy required. Doctoral degree in Pharmacy preferred.
- License Massachusetts Pharmacist required.
- 8-10 years related work experience required in Pharmacy Distribution and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- In-depth knowledge and proven track record of pharmacy purchasing, inventory and distribution.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with hospital pharmacy purchasing groups and BILH pharmacy leadership.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Six Sigma/Lean Certified.
- Project management.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement