Director, Infusion Services
Department Description: This role will be based out of our Westwood Pharmacy
Job Location: Westwood, Massachusetts
Req ID: 43986BR
Job Summary: Director, Infusion Services is responsible for the overall direction and development of the infusion service line at BILH Pharmacy Inc. and work in conjunction with hospital and pharmacy leadership to support infusion operations across the system. The role is responsible for the planning, designing, developing, managing and improving the infusion service line at BILH Pharmacy Inc. and at the BILH hospitals in partnership with local leaders. This would include the development of alternate site infusion centers, home infusion program at BILH pharmacy Inc., re-licensing existing hospital infusion clinics, operational oversite to include ensuring cost effective delivery, exceptional customer service, clinical effectiveness, patient safety, engagement and development of staff, regular compliance and financial success. This role will require significant partnership with BILH system leadership, clinical and hospital leaders, ambulatory clinical pharmacists, hospital revenue cycle departments and BILH Pharmacy Inc. leadership to drive the growth and performance of this important service line.
- In conjunction with BILH system and hospital leadership develop a system Infusion strategy integrated into the system ambulatory strategy.
- Plan, develop and implement alternate site infusion centers, a home infusion pharmacy and partner with BILH at home to develop a home infusion services.
- Communication and program development with medical staff, nursing, clinic leadership and pharmacy at the various hospitals.
- In partnership with Finance, improvement revenue cycle for infusion across the system. Develop financial reporting and budgets for infusion service line.
- Oversee the operations of the BILH infusion services. Support infusion services for operations, and processes at the hospitals.
- Defines the qualifications and performance expectations for their management staff and ensures an optimal number of qualified individuals to provide effective patient care services to meet organizational needs and satisfy regulatory and accrediting requirements.
- Ensures effective and timely staff recruitment, orientation, training, education, mentoring, career development, performance review, and retention efforts.
- Work with Regulatory, Compliance and Legal Departments to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to medications and their use. Responsible for the compliance with Joint Commission medication management standards and National Patient Safety Goals related to medications and for maintaining accreditations and licenses.
- Works with BILH Pharmacy Inc. leadership to drive and implement the strategic initiatives identified. Demonstrates the personal leadership qualities and business acumen essential to operate effectively a pharmacy department and to advance the profession and practice of pharmacy.
- Serves as the primary pharmacy representative on relevant committees and develops collaborative relationships across the health system to achieve optimal medication management. Other duties as assigned.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 11-20
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy required. Doctoral degree in Pharmacy preferred.
- License Massachusetts Pharmacist required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required in Pharmacy and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- In-depth knowledge and proven track record in infusion services, operational management and/or infusion revenue cycle. Ability to work cross-functionally with at the system and local hospital level.
- Leadership skills with demonstrated ability to manage professional staff and direct strategy and budgeting functions.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Completion of an ASHP accredited residency training program. Certification by the board of pharmacy specialties or equivalent.
- Prior Home infusion and or sterile compounding supervision. Academic hospital experience.
- Six Sigma / Lean Certified. Project management.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.