Practice Assistant - Lead
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Seabrook welcomes new patients of all ages. This practice is affiliated with, and offers access to, specialists and specialist programs at Anna Jacques Hospital.
Job Location: Seabrook, New Hampshire
Req ID: 46128BR
Job Summary: Reports to (one of the following): Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician, nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations.
- Serves as a role model/mentor, providing support, training and sharing knowledge with other Practice Assistants. May act as a group leader in absence of the Practice Manager or Coordinator. Collaborates with team; solicits thoughts and ideas from others and incorporates them to produce quality processes. Acts as team leader for small projects. Delegates daily tasks, scheduling and coverage.
- Greets patients and visitors in a manner that demonstrates courtesy, service, respect and privacy. Serves as a central communication source in the delivery of patient care by being responsive, accessible and visible. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Performs check in, registration, scheduling, verification of demographic information and fiscal data utilizing a computer system. Collects co-payments following standards for co-payment processing. Schedules, reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters referrals.
- Maintains clean and welcoming physical environment of the reception area. Maintains signage and clarity of information displayed in reception area. Monitors audio or visual images for appropriate programming and volume levels to ensure a non-intrusive and calming environment. Contacts the appropriate departments when repairs or services are needed and follows through on these tasks.
- Other responsibilities will vary by practice and may include, but are not limited to: Check out, schedules necessary follow up appointments, referrals, prior authorizations. Provides patient with any relevant educational materials as indicated, visit ticket entry, medical records preparation.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Admin Assistant Cert preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 3-5 years experience in a healthcare or service/hospitality environment.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.