Department Description: The Radiology Department at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham (BID–Needham) offers a wide array of personalized services for our patients. We have short wait times and technologists whose top priority is accommodating you. As a community hospital, our staff offers a personal touch not always found at larger institutions. Our radiologists are members of the medical staff of the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham and the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 31029BR
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Manager of Radiology, reporting to the Physician Liaison performs a wide variety of specific and specialized duties, using independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative. This position requires knowledge of procedures and policies related to the Radiology Department and functions as team player. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks and demands and to seek managerial assistance as needed. Performs all duties with respect to receiving patients as they arrive in Radiology or the Breast Care Center and prepares all appropriate paperwork for their imaging procedures, receipt of imaging exam requests and distribution of any Image Archive CD requests.
- Works as a Unit Coordinator at the Radiology or Breast Care Center reception desks.
- Ensures that all exam related patient questionnaires are provided to the patient and accurately scans them in to the PACS system with any exam related orders.
- Distributes by telephone or by fax any Wet Readings provided by the radiologist and ensures receipt.
- Follows up with the ordering physician to make sure that an order is present prior to the patient's appointment.
- Performs all registration functions with accuracy.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required in medical or customer service working environment.
- Reading and writing skills sufficient to identify pertinent patient information.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Problem solver with the ability to multitask with outstanding organizational skills.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally