Surgical Technician (32hrs)
Department Description: The Surgical Pavilion at BID Needham brings together exceptional surgical expertise in a patient-centered environment with the convenience of a community setting. Newly built operating room suites utilize the latest technologies, including specialized equipment for minimally invasive procedures, image-guided, and endoscopic procedures. New and enlarged preoperative rooms and Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), located next to the operating rooms, improve service efficiency.
Our board-certified surgeons offer surgical expertise rarely found in a community setting. Trained at some of the nation’s leading medical schools, many are Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 33728BR
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Clinical manager of Perioperative Services, the surgical technologist performs all responsibilities in a manner that demonstrates Service Excellence towards patients, physicians, peers and other departments. Maintains technical skills to serve a patient population comprised of infancy to geriatric clients. Prepares Operating Room with appropriate instrumentation, equipment and supplies necessary for patient care. Demonstrates and practices a good understanding of sterile technique.
- Prepares the OR room with appropriate instrument, sutures, supplies, and equipment necessary for each individual procedure as outlined in departmental policy manual. Refers to pre-printed preference cards when choosing supplies, etc. for each surgical case.
- Demonstrates competence in assisting the surgeon and the perioperative team during surgical procedures.
- Follows departmental policies and procedures, with regard to appropriately scrubbing, gowning, gloving, observing strict aseptic technique.
- Follows strict aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
- Demonstrates competence with regard to the proper handling of surgical specimens and medications on the sterile field.
- Vocational or Technical training in Surgical Technology required.
- License Certified Surgical Technician required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical technologist certifying body accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgical Technologists
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Previous surgical technology experience
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.