Sterile Processing Instrument Technician
Department Description: The Surgical Pavilion at BID Needham brings together exceptional surgical expertise in a patient-centered environment with the convenience of a community setting. Newly built operating room suites utilize the latest technologies, including specialized equipment for minimally invasive procedures, image-guided, and endoscopic procedures. New and enlarged preoperative rooms and Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), located next to the operating rooms, improve service efficiency.
Our board-certified surgeons offer surgical expertise rarely found in a community setting. Trained at some of the nation’s leading medical schools, many are Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 34474BR
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Lead Sterile Processing Instrument Technician, the Sterile Processing Technician inspects, decontaminates, disinfects, assembles and sterilizes surgical/patient care reusable instruments and/or equipment, according to BID Needham policies and procedures (according to Manufacturer's Instructions for Use (IFU) and AAMI standards).
- Consistently provides and demonstrates good quality care of instruments.
- Consistently demonstrates competence in performing tasks and procedures approved by BID Hospital-Needham.
- Always reports to the charge nurse any observations, and other pertinent information regarding the condition of instruments, issues with equipment.
- Demonstrates an awareness of precautions necessary in handling soiled instruments and equipment.
- Regularly assists staff in acquiring instruments and supplies.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Certified Reg Cen Serv Tech preferred., and Certificate 2 Cert Sterile Proc preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician (CRCST) or Certification Board for sterile processing and distribution (CBSPD) preferred.Sterile Processing Certification preferred. Must obtain certification within one year of hire as a condition of employment if not certified at the time of hire.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.