Radiology Scheduler Associate
Department Description: The Radiology Department at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham (BID–Needham) offers a wide array of personalized services for our patients. We have short wait times and technologists whose top priority is accommodating you. As a community hospital, our staff offers a personal touch not always found at larger institutions. Our radiologists are members of the medical staff of the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham and the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 30855BR
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Manager of Radiology, reporting to the Support Staff Supervisor, performs a wide variety of specific and specialized duties, to schedule outpatients for Radiology appointments, using independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative. This position requires knowledge of medical terminology and Radiology procedures. Utilizes excellent customer service skills with provider office staff and patients by telephone, or when presenting to the department for appointment scheduling. In this role the employee will gain hands-on experience and knowledge of diagnosis associated with imaging procedures. While working within a team must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demonstrate ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks and demands. The radiology scheduler associate will schedule all types of imaging procedures and identify those exams that require high end imaging prior authorization.
- Responsible for scheduling all radiology appointments, utilizing excellent customer service skills either in person or by telephone. Utilizing professional interpersonal skills, works with patients and provider offices to schedule appointments.
- Confirms patient information required to include full name, DOB and telephone number.
- Coordinates the Radiologists schedule as it relates to scheduling.
- Follows up with the ordering physician to make sure that an order is present prior to the patients' appointment.
- Schedules all exams including special procedures (core biopsies, FNA and cysts aspirations).
- High School diploma or GED required, Associate's or higher preferred.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in medical or customer service working environment.One year prior experience in a physician practice or radiology.
- MEDITECH experience preferred
- Previous scheduling experience in healthcare setting preferred
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally