Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58–bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 37272BR
Job Summary: Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of the department operations. Performs some or all of the following responsibilities: telephone greeting and communication to facilitate appointment registration and scheduling; greeting patients and visitors on arrival, coordinating appointment check in and co-payment collection, managed care referrals and related instruction, chart management, oversight of the reception area and other related functions. Requires problem-solving skills, a positive approach to teamwork, strong communication skills, the ability to handle multiple priorities, attention to detail and a focus on customer service
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- In charge of notifying admitting, and preadmission testing of any OR cases, changes and also confirming the aforementioned with the surgical offices.
- Serves as liaison to surgical offices and preadmission nurses for a variety of situations, including missed appointments, and additional medical information needed.
- Assists OR, Preoperative and PACU nurses on an as needed basis with entering or retrieving lab results, answering phones, bringing/discharging patients, troubleshooting equipment problems and any other issues that arise.
- Responsible for scheduling all appointments.
- Coordinates physician schedules as it relates to scheduling.
- Works as a Unit Coordinator as needed.
- Produces daily schedules for distribution.
- Enters all pertinent information for appointments into data base accurately.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- MEDITECH experience preferred
- Previous scheduling experience in healthcare setting preferred
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally