Patient Accounts Representative
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58–bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 41563BR
Job Summary: To assure the timely billing and follow-up of all inpatient and outpatient accounts for the assigned payer(s). Billing is considered timely when all claim checks errors are corrected and the claims are billed, either by paper or electronically, immediately upon the suspense period being met and the final coding of the account. Follow-up includes the correction and resubmission of rejections, analysis of denials, billing secondary payers, reviewing the trial balance for aging accounts and making follow-up calls to 3rd parties to obtain status of claims. Billers are responsible for working the account until the account balance becomes zero, including the resolution and refunding of credit balances.
- Responsible for the submission of claims to assigned payers, either electronically or on paper on the day the claim becomes eligible for billing. This includes the confirmation that electronic claim files are received by the
- Works remittance advices and reviews claims that have rejected or denied and determines the corrective course of action based on the rejection/denial within 3 days of receipt.
- Downloads the electronic payment files and insures that all cash posting rejects are posted to the patient account in a timely manner.
- Documents account immediately after receiving correspondence, a telephone call or speaking with a patient in person.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Previous experience of 3rd party billing in a healthcare setting preferred
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications:Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications:Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge:Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work:Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service:Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement