Patient Access Representative (Every other weekend Saturday and Sunday 7:00am-3:30pm)
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58–bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 39345BR
Job Summary: Patient Access Representative arranges for the efficient and orderly admission of inpatients and registration of individuals who have hospital based outpatient testing or procedures. Interviews incoming patient or representatives in person or by telephone and accurately enters information required for admission/registration into computer database. Distributes information to ancillary departments and physicians. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Acts in a professional manner and puts patient needs first.
- Responsible for accepting reservations for hospital service; Greet and assist patients upon arrival. Back up colleagues as needed to avoid long wait times for patients. Escort patients to departments as needed.
- Responsible for interviewing patients or their representative, obtaining personal information or verifying information already on file, including emergency numbers, next of kin, insurance information and other necessary information.. Is aware of when a patient may feel uncomfortable in the present setting and offer to provide a more private space to perform the registration function.
- Accepts copayments where identified. Locking them in the safe after collection.
- Accurately records all transactions.
- Responsible for obtaining signatures for General Authorization and Notice of Privacy if this is patients first time here. Provide Notice of Privacy Practices to all new patients and documents the advance directive and HIPAA privacy notice distribution in the computer system. Provides advance directive information to patients when one has not been completed.
- Receive actual order from Hospitalist via printer. Pay close attention to level of care. At this time either change to Inpatient or leave as Observation depending on physician decision. Make sure to update Attending Physician to physician writing order. Update diagnosis if needed.
- Receive bed request from ER physician via printer. Admit patient appropriately as Observation, Attending physician as Inpatient Provider update diagnosis.
- Interviews Inpatients and verifies information obtained at the time of admission. Distributes hospital specific literature and obtains appropriate signatures such as Important Message from Medicare.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience preferred
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.