Nursing Technician - Float (32hr, Evenings)
Department Description: We are looking for a dynamic person who wants to join our newly created Nursing Technician float pool team. You will be required to float between the emergency department & med/surg. If you enjoy a dynamic and changing environment this role is for you.
The Derenzo Patient Care Unit is a general medical/surgical/telemetry unit. Patients are admitted to the Derenzo Patient Care Unit from the ED, PACU, physicians’ offices, and infrequently directly from their residence. The patient population on the Derenzo Patient Care Unit is diverse and consists of patients who have medical diagnoses or have undergone abdominal, orthopedic, plastic, and urological surgeries, to name a few.
The Emergency Department at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham is known for its advanced medical technology, child-friendly atmosphere, shorter wait times and a direct link to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. All Emergency Department physicians are board-certified and members of Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Job Location: Needham, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45481BR
Job Summary: Fully versed in all areas of department operations for both nursing unit(s) and emergency department, performs as a member of a team responsible for completing all tasks necessary for the smooth functioning of the department. Able to manage multiple clinical responsibilities which may include EKGs, phlebotomy, splinting, wound care, crutch walking, patient activities of daily living and post-mortem care. Provides assistance and support to the physicians and nurses as needed. Adheres to hospital policy regarding patient confidentiality. Exhibits a willingness and ability to communicate self as a caring and respectful person, capable of sensitively responding to patients' needs. This position deals with a patient population ranging in age from pediatric to geriatrics with surgical/medical clinical focus.
- Consistently demonstrates a familiarity with the duties required of both a nursing technician and an ED Tech and performs all duties accurately in accordance with departmental policies and procedures; readily observes or assists others to obtain further knowledge
- Always follows the Nursing Care Plan; observes established policies and procedures for proper patient treatment and care
- Establishes priorities in patient care and related assigned duties functioning in an organized manner. Completes all assignments in a timely, quality manner by the end of the shift.
- Demonstrates responsibility for observation and application of sound judgment for patients' mental and physical condition and applies safety measures and restraints as necessary per Hospital Policy.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of safety policies and procedures; knows proper body mechanics.
- Consistently provides care which demonstrates an understanding of the needs and age-related requirements of the pediatric to geriatric age groups.
- Performs competently and safely in clinical tasks of EKGs, phlebotomy, wound care, splinting, crutch walking, patient activities of daily living and post-mortem care.
- Performs lab testing, specimen collection, according to protocol and communicates results to the appropriate department personnel and documents in the medical record. Inclusive of Point of Care Testing.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in EMT, CNA, or Clinical Rotation for Nursing Students preferred.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- BLS Certification and First Aid Training required at hire or must complete within 30 days of hire.
- Requirement for High School Diploma or GED may be substituted when applicant has equivalent related work experience.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Nursing Assistant Certification, prior LTAC or med/surg experience, EMT or completion of nursing clinical rotation.
- MOAB training.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.