Medical Technologist (30hrs, 9:00pm-7:30am)
Department Description: The Clinical Laboratory/Division of Pathology is an integral part of the patient care provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham. The laboratory provides state of the art testing services for both in-patients and outpatients. These services include anatomical pathology, cytopathology, clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, transfusion medicine and immunology.
Job Location: Needham, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45799BR
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Lab Manager, Lab Supervisors and Chief of Pathology, is responsible for maintaining a functional laboratory section (s) to meet the needs of patient care. Upholds the policies of the laboratory and ensures the quality of the work, while maintaining a pleasant and efficient work atmosphere.
- Performs and monitors testing procedures.
- Performs monitors the quality control and quality assurance programs on an on going basis.
- Always adheres to safety and infection control procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring station (s) is in compliance with CAP, Joint Commission, CLIA and AABB regulations.
- Associate's degree in Medical Laboratory or Life Sciences required. Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory or Life Sciences preferred.
- Registration ASCP Registered required., or recent graduate eligible for certification
- 0-1 years related work experience required in a Laboratory setting..
- ASCP certification as a Medical Technologist (or equivalent national certifying agency) or recent graduate eligible for certification can waive the requirement of an A.S. in lab technology or science.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.