Lab Section Supervisor-Blood Bank
Department Description: The Clinical Laboratory/Division of Pathology is an integral part of the patient care provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham. The laboratory provides state of the art testing services for both in-patients and outpatients. These services include anatomical pathology, cytopathology, clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, transfusion medicine and immunology.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 28369BR
Job Summary: Responsible for maintaining a functional laboratory section(s) to meet the needs of patient care. Upholds the policies of the laboratory and ensures the quality of the work, while maintaining a pleasant and efficient work atmosphere.
- Develops, trains and monitors testing procedures.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors the quality control and quality assurance programs on an on going basis.
- Maintains a current written procedure manual, reviews and revises as needed with a minimum of once a year.
- Demonstrates proficiency in performing all computer related activities required of supervisory personnel daily.
- Implements and monitors a workload recording program on an on going basis.
- Bachelor's degree required in Medical Technology or equivalent education, training and experience. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- 5 years of experience in a clinical laboratory, with at least 3 in the specific specialty area.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Masters degree and management experience.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally