HVACR Mechanic-General Maintenance Mechanic
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58–bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 37516BR
Job Summary: Operates, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs HVAC and Refrigerant systems. Performs regularly scheduled preventative maintenance on a variety of HVAC&R equipment. Records detailed maintenance activities within maintenance management system and maintains accurate regulatory documentation where required. Operates refrigerant recovery systems and maintains EPA required documentation for refrigerant reclaimed. Disconnects and reconnects electrical circuits associated with HVAC. Adjusts valves to regulate temperature and speeds; adjusts vents and dampers. Work in a team like environment to maintain inventory of tools, parts, supplies needed to perform tasks. Verify operational pressure balance relationships and troubleshoots issues. Become familiar with, monitor and operate computer based building automation systems. Provide department coverage as necessary. Learn the basic operational procedures related to other building systems including but not limited to; Fire Alarm, Generators, Nurse Call, Fire Protection, Electrical/Plumbing systems. In addition to HVAC&R duties, perform a variety of duties in and around the building of the hospital complex to assist other tradesmen in completing their tasks. Emergency shift coverage; other duties as assigned.
- Assists with repairing HVAC systems, replacing equipment, fixtures, cleaning condensate and plumbing drains.
- Assists with the installation and repair of such items as Faucets, AC units, doors, etc. as needed.
- Administers to general repairs i.e. plunging toilets and drains, greases fan motors.
- Assists tradesmen with necessary repairs and service projects as needed.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in Minimum 4 years experience in commercial field service HVAC&R or 3 years experience in HVAC&R in a hospital or large institutional or campus environment.
- EPA 608 Universal Technician
- Valid MA Drivers License with Satisfactory Driving Record
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.