Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Needham (BID–Needham) is a licensed 58–bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 31638BR
Job Summary: Assists patients with the completion of applications through the State's Health Connector. Maintains the State's Certified Application Counselor, CAC, certification. Assists patients with insurance and/or self pay issues. Screens and counsels patients on insurance benefits. Assists patients in making payment arrangements. Provides quotes and collects payment on cosmetic procedures. Performs all the duties of a Patient Access Representative, providing backup for Registration. Performs a variety of specific functions and other assigned tasks as designated, such as pre registering accounts and verifying insurance eligibility and/or authorizing services. Interviews patients or their representatives in person or by telephone and accurately enters information into Meditech assuring all information is complete and accurate. The highest regard for patient confidentiality is an expectation at all times. Duties will vary according to the department needs.
- Screens and counsels patients who have no health insurance or are under insured. Explores the possibility of Medicaid eligibility, Health Safety Net eligibility or other insurance coverage as mandated by the State or Federal governments. Assists patients in completing the required insurance applications.
- Enters comments in the patients account of all actions taken such as conversations with patients, letters sent, budget arrangements and applications completed, when applicable.
- Acts as a liaison between patients, collection agencies and the hospital regarding inquiries on outstanding and/or bad debt accounts.
- Performs all jobs of a Patient Access Representative. Acts as a back-up and assists Registration staff in the Main Lobby, Surgical Pavilion and ED.
- Pre Registers accounts from assorted scheduling systems. Prints required forms directly to the clinic. Reviews clinic schedules for add on appointments. Verified insurance eligibility.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in hospital financial.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Understanding of hospital collections.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally