Practice Assistant-Bilingual English and Spanish speaking
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Jamaica Plain provides personalized, comprehensive care for patients of all ages.
Job Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
Req ID: 25299BR
Job Summary: Reports to (one of the following): Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician, nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations. Performs some or all of the following responsibilities: telephone greeting and communication to facilitate appointment registration and scheduling; greeting patients and visitors on arrival, coordinating appointment check in and co-payment collection, managed care referrals and related instruction, chart management, oversight of the reception area and other related functions. Requires problem-solving skills, a positive approach to teamwork, strong communication skills, the ability to handle multiple priorities, attention to detail and a focus on customer service. This position involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including public and visitors, patients, medical staff practitioners and APG personnel. The incumbent must have outstanding customer service skills, strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interpret and communicate sensitive patient information. Must demonstrate respect for patient confidentiality and the maturity to handle difficult patient situations in an often fast-paced stressful environment. Must also demonstrate problem solving skills, a positive approach to teamwork and the ability to handle multiple priorities with attention to detail. Previous experience in healthcare preferred, strong customer service skills and experience are required.
- Greets patients and visitors in a manner that demonstrates courtesy, service, respect and privacy. Serves as a central communication source in the delivery of patient care by being responsive, accessible and visible. Takes appropriate actions to diffuse challenging situations. Takes complete and accurate information from patients/callers. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Performs check in, registration, scheduling, and verification of demographic information according to APG policies and procedures. Utilizes computer system to register patients and ensure accuracy of demographic and fiscal data. Schedules, reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters referrals and collect co-pays.
- Monitors and supports patients and visitors entering and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and proactively solves flow issues (i.e., early or late patient, late provider, etc.). Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Acts as liaison between patient and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Maintains clean and welcoming physical environment of the reception area. Maintains signage and clarity of information displayed in reception area. Monitors audio or visual images for appropriate programming and volume levels to ensure a non-intrusive and calming environment. Contacts the appropriate departments (i.e. Service Response) when repairs or services are needed and follows through.
- Ensures translation services are provided in Spanish for Spanish speaking patients and employees when needed.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- Certificate 1 preferred: Medical Admin Assistant Cert
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, at a level that ensures accurate and understandable interpretation and translation and Medical terminology.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications:Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications:Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge:Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work:Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service:Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.